Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Me and the Monkee!


Am I the only girl in the fam who really loved the Monkees? Well, I had an interesting and special opportunity the other night. My old roomie Shane was in CA on the Pippin tour. I called him and he got me and J comps. So we drove down to Costa Mesa (2 hours plus change during traffic, 30 minutes post-traffic) to see what turned out to be a pretty terrible show. Shane was great. I was also totally, jaw-droppingly surprised to see my old college friend Andre as the leading player. He looked and sounded amazing. The best part of the show by far.

I digress. Also in the company was Micky Dolenz of "hey, hey, we're the Monkees fame." He played Charlemagne. That's all I'll say about that. Shane, J, and I all went to this bar by his hotel to grab some food and catch up. And who walks in? That's right...the Monkee. I did get a little excited because I really did love that show. I listened to their music all through high school. I can, to this day, sing all of the songs on their greatest hits album by memory. So, when Shane offered to introduce me and Joey offered to take our picture, I couldn't resist.

When asked what he thought about being on the show, he replied, "I've been told it was great. It was the 60's, you know. All I knew was 'oooh, look at the colors.'" He was a genuinely nice guy and I was really happy to meet him. In all of my NY restaurant, theatrical, and film work, I've met about a billion celebs, but this is my first actual picture with one. So enjoy!

6 comments:

Keli said...

I am so jealous! I know all their songs by heart too, so to actually meet a Monkee.... wow! Nice pic!

Anonymous said...

I second Keli. Dang! I had a wild crush on Peter, but I'd take Mickey as well. And thanks...now I'll have their songs in my head for the next week.

Hiatt's blog said...

Getting the pictures was specifically for you two. I knew it wouldn't be enough to just say that I met him. I figured you would need some concrete evidence.

Hiatt's blog said...

Getting the pictures was specifically for you two. I knew it wouldn't be enough to just say that I met him. I figured you would need some concrete evidence.

kim said...

Congrats Hiatt!! I too have met Micky Dolenz (in the 80's)...and met Davy and Peter as well. They were "on" for a bit and then settled down. I walked away with a huge grin on my face and the opinion that all three are nice guys.

Nice pix by the way!

Kim
martinsburg, pa

Anonymous said...

he probably wanted to sleep with all three of you...he is after all, from the 60s.