Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Timshel

I have been inspired by my siblings lately to put my thoughts in coherent order. On the one hand is Juli, whose opinions are well-researched and surprisingly diverse. On the other hand is Jarrod, who is navigating by instinct which is not a bad thing. Instincts are good to have for they act in our own perceived needs for self-preservation and also color our outlook on the world. Politics are interesting in that they seem to bring our passions and convictions to the surface, and I for one am grateful to use this blog as a forum to teach each other.

Perhaps you are wondering what the title of this blog means. It is from the novel East of Eden by John Steinbeck, a book that contemplates the ramifications that our personal actions make. Read it, by the way, if you never have. Though the Grapes of Wrath is more popular, I believe this book has more to say about the human spirit, which brings us back to the word above, Timshel. In the book it means "Thou Mayest." This is what Jarrod wrote in my comment space (and please, this is not meant as an offense to me, but merely acted as a catalyst).

"If Obama is the one that inspires you and holds your best interests in mind than you seriously should consider different interests. He associates with known terrorists, he has defended a group that has participated in voter fraud, his pastor and "mentor" for more than 20 years has called America the U.S of KKK A. His wife has said that she has never been proud of America until now."

I could argue contrarily about this in a million different ways, but I won't because I believe ultimately in Timshel, or "Thou Mayest." In the novel, Lee, the Chinese servant and sage, and Samuel Hamilton, the man who never ceases to be curious and question the reasons for life are arguing about different translations of the bible. Instead of "Thou Shalt," which of course means "you must," the Hebrew word is Timshel. "Thou Mayest." It is much more powerful, and it goes back to the notion of free agency, or free will. This word is extremely powerful. It leaves our choice to do good or evil up to us. It allows us the leeway to explore both the dark and enlightened corners of our souls.

In a political season highlighted by misinformation, media saturation and candidate overexposure, I am going to exercise Timshel and allow people I disagree with to do that, too. We believe, we love, we hate for reasons that will never be explicable to someone other than us, and perhaps not even then.

So Timshel, friends, and exercise your free will, because that is our univeral gift.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My instincts told me to submit my posting. My conscience told me not to. Timshel.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprisingly diverse? Awesome! Thank you.

I think if all of us were more interested in seeking truth instead of being correct, the world would be so much better.