Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Ode to Pops

Since I'm here in the NYC and can't be there for Father's Day, I thought that I would type a top-ten list for the old guy. You know, the Dad top 10. So here are my top-ten favorite things about Dad, in no particular order:

1. Dad, you are inseparable from that damn lawn mower. It cracks me up to no end.
2. You can't fault a man for liking malt balls and Dr. Pepper.
3. You did buy me chocolate soda and proved, once and for all, that I will not drink just anything with caffeine in it.
4. You took time out of your day to walk sweet Yeti when Wade and I were unable to.
5. You wouldn't come see Dracula because you were too scared. Awwww...kinda sweet.
6. You helped me research all those airplanes when I did A Place in the Sky. Remember those days at the Air Force Museum and library?
7. You always squint one eye when you brush your hair. The left one, I think.
8. You are one stubborn son of a bitch.
9. You are partially made of metal.
10. You were my soccer coach and you let us dump water on your head all the time. That's nice.

Now, so Mom won't feel left out and since I didn't think of this until today, thereby completely missing Mother's Day, I better put one up for Mom, too.

1. Remember back in the day when you used to buy me underwear? Very sweet.
2. You always fold laundry into perfect little piles.
3. You make your shoes shiny white so they'll always look pretty and new.
4. You take care of all the little babies; your grandkids and others.
5. Your nostrils flare when you laugh really hard (an oldie, but a goodie).
6. You are fighting age like a warrior. I love it!
7. You don't wear old lady clothes.
8. You let dad ride around on his lawn mower all day.
9. When I didn't get into the special choir in 9th grade, you let me check out of school, come home and cry.
10. You wouldn't let me dye my hair black.

And here's what I admire the most about Mom and Dad as a twosome: They love eachother. Fiercely, adamantly. They don't judge anybody. They love their family as much as their hearts can pour out. So Happy Father's Day, Pops, and Happy Belated Mother's Day, Mom. Enjoy your grilling!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dad is the bionic man. Literally.

Mom used to buy me bras and panties, too. She bought me black lace bra, showed it to me, and said like she was all proud of herself, "now you can never say i don't buy you kinky underwear."

Also...you know she calls her clean white shoes "tighty whities," right? This alone is reason to love her.