Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 26, 2012

I'm Baaaaaa-aaaaacccckkkk! Friday Fiction! Ish...

After a week hiatus, I am back to the blog, and for this entry I am going to keep it simple.  It's Fiction Friday everyone, and as I was walking through the chaos of the city streets, instead of paying attention to where I was going I was thinking of my favorite books.

I apologize in advance for not REALLY keeping these to fiction.  But they are great books and ones I think that everyone should read:

In no particular order:

Refuge, by Terry Tempest Williams
Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins
Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer
Marking the Sparrow's Fall by Wallace Stegner

Upon examining this list is there is only one female author, and she writes non-fiction.  Is it that I am more attracted to so-called "masculine writers" or that I am more interested in a "male" style of writing?  Are there specific styles that lend themselves to masculine and feminine voices in literature?

What do you think?  Who would be on your list?

2 comments:

Josh Davis said...

I feel like I will be judged if I write my list down... but here it is. My Fiction List would include:
A Storm of Sword
The Stainless Steel Rat
Good Night Moon
Fear and Loathing
The Life of Pi - made me cry at the end.

Please judge away. I have not read any of the books you have read there - but I would be willing to.

Erin said...

No judgment here. : )Of your list, I have only read Fear and Loathing, Storm of Swords, and Life of Pi (you're right, what an ending). But I'll read the Stainless Steel Rat and Good Night Moon. Stainless Steel Rat sounds interesting.